In 2017 Niantic announced their next project after Pokemon GO: an AR game based around the Harry Potter franchise titled Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. Considering the success of Pokemon GO, anticipation for Niantic’s next game is high. What do we know about it so far?
- Niantic has partnered with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and WB Games San Francisco’s development team to create Wizards Unite
- The game will provide “an opportunity to pioneer all new technology and gameplay mechanics”
- Port Key Games has Wizards Unite listed along with Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery as games in their catalog
- In an interview from the FT with John Hanke, it was revealed Wizards Unite is scheduled for release in the second half of 2018
- At a Tech Crunch presentation Niantic CTO Phil Keslin spoke of a new game they are working on incorporating sound cues
- The game’s website describes features like the ability to “discover mysterious artifacts, learn to cast spells, and encounter legendary beasts and iconic characters”, further details are unavailable
- You can sign up to their newsletter for further updates